*This competition is now closed*
Help us find a name for the former Debenhams building
We are inviting all residents and local businesses to enter our competition to name the former Debenhams building in Sandgate Road, Folkestone.
Suggestions from anyone that resides in the district, including children, young people and adults, are welcome.
The historic building, which has Edwardian and Art Deco features, was bought by Folkestone & Hythe District Council in May and the council has ambitious plans for its future.
It is intended to become a thriving centrepiece for the town’s ongoing regeneration, and as a plan for its future use is currently being prepared, the chosen name needs to be able to suit a number of different uses.
We want to hear from you with what you think the building should be called. You may choose a name inspired by Folkestone’s culture or heritage, or a name that reflects our seaside location. Perhaps it will be a name which represents the town’s future or you may be inspired to name the building after someone or something from the area. We are keen to hear all ideas.
We are also interested in the reasons behind your chosen name for the building.
The winner will not only have their suggested name displayed on the building but will also win £100 as a voucher to spend in a Folkestone town centre shop of their choice.
Entries should be submitted using the form below, or posted to Corporate Communications, Folkestone & Hythe District Council, Civic Centre, Castle Hill Avenue, Folkestone CT20 2QY
*This competition is now closed* The deadline for entries is Monday 31 August and the winner will be unveiled in September.
The competition is open to all residents of the Folkestone & Hythe district.
Terms & Conditions:
- The competition is run by Folkestone & Hythe District Council. Registered address: Folkestone & Hythe District Council, Civic Centre, Castle Hill Avenue, Folkestone, Kent. CT20 2QY
- The competition is open to all residents of the Folkestone & Hythe District.
- There is no entry fee to this competition.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via folkestoneandhythe.co.uk.
- Entrants can suggest an unlimited number of different names. Each name must be submitted as a separate entry.
- Competition closes Monday 31 August at 5pm. All entries received after this deadline will not be entered into the competition, but could be considered for the name of the building.
- All entries must be submitted via the form at folkestoneandhythe.co.uk or by post – comments and suggestions posted on social media will not be counted as an entry.
- No responsibility can be taken for entries not received for whatever reason.
- A panel of judges selected by Folkestone & Hythe District Council will make the decision on the name and reserves the right to reject all suggestions if a suitable name cannot be agreed.
- Folkestone & Hythe District Council reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition. Any changes will be notified to entrants as soon as possible.
- The prize is as follows: a voucher or credit note to be redeemed in a shop, restaurant or cafe of the winner’s choice, within Folkestone town centre. The prize is subject to availability and we reserve the right to refuse the choice of certain shops. Prize has no cash alternative and is non-transferable.
- If more than two entries are received for the same chosen name, these will be entered into a draw and a winner selected at random by software.
- The prize winner will be notified by email no later than 11 September 2020. If the prize winner cannot be contacted or is not available, or has not claimed their prize by 25 September, Folkestone & Hythe District Council reserves the right to offer the prize to the next eligible entrant
- Details of the prize winners may be posted on social media, the Folkestone and Hythe District Council website and in the media.
- The prize winners may be required to take part in publicity including having their photo taken for use online, press and social media.
- Folkestone & Hythe District Council will securely hold and process your data in line with UK and EU data protection laws. Third party access to this data is limited to those providers we use to help carry our services to you and we will not share or sell your data to any other organisations.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, Folkestone & Hythe District Council will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the prize winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of Folkestone & Hythe District Council, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected
- If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, the Folkestone & Hythe District Council may, at its sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude you from participating in the competition.
- Folkestone & Hythe District Council reserves the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the prize competition where it becomes necessary to do so.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.